Saturday, September 8, 2007

"The Hubby"

My Sacred Life, Day 16

This is "The Hubby" who, for reasons of privacy doesn't want his face shown on the blog. He feels very strongly about this so you all have a lovely view of the back of his head; how could I leave him out of My Sacred Life - he's such a huge part of it.

Once, while on retreat, the women in the circle asked what my husband was like. After considerable thought all I could think to say was "He's an a**hole...but in a good way." Oh no, they protested, you could never be married to someone like that. All I could think was, "Then you don't know me too well, do ya?"

When my beloved cousin objected to this description of him I asked "Well, how would you describe him?" She thought about it and all she could say of was "Mmmm, good point."

So, this established (and he will readily admit to being one) now for some details: he is funny as hell, smart with a really wide knowledge base that fills in the gaps of my own, and a fantastic provider for the kids and me. He loves to work (bordering on workaholic - something else he readily admits to) and defines a lot of who he is through the various jobs that he does. He's also my soulmate and I love him to death, even when he's driving me nuts. (This, BTW is my formula of a successful marriage - the balancing between those two dichotomies.)

While reading one of the blogs someone (so sorry I can't remember who) mentioned that she and her husband start their day together with a spiritual practice. I wondered what that would be like. Its simply not The Hubby's cup of tea. But he leaves room for it to be mine, while at the same time grounding me so that my new-agey tendencies don't take me too far out there. Unchecked, I could really be out there!

Who I want to be and what I want to offer the world isn't someone who is "out there." I want to be a living example of the balance between the two worlds - the spiritual world and what we affectionately refer to as the "real world." Its possible to do both, and The Hubby makes sure I stay grounded enough to live that desire.

My Sacred Life just wouldn't be the same without him. (Love you, babe...Happy 17th/12th Anniversary!)


Note the slightly more revealing picture to the left...

Who grounds you?

4 comments:

Doe Grozs Art said...

Yes. My hubby as well reminds me to keep one foot on the ground. Hey, what size shoe does your daughter wear. She can have the shoes if she wants them
email me.
dgrozinger@yahoo.com

Rick Hamrick said...

Deb--I love your forthrightness in describing not only your love for your husband, but the gritty parts which add to the spice of the relationship, I'll bet.

Certainly, I know the dichotomy you mentioned! We (my wife and I) deal with it every day. Some days, the sweet wins, some days the not-so-sweet, and some days, you cook up that perfect mix of the two which becomes a day we recall fondly years later.

Thanks for this great post.

Beverly Keaton Smith said...

Love your tribute to your husband! In response to your question, Who grounds you? I would have to say the earth grounds me. That is usually where I turn first. Also, I have some great girlfriends who ground me too...and a few coaches I've partnered with...oh my gosh, I've never thought how many people in my life ground me until. This is great! I'm feeling pretty blessed! Oh, and my husband does too...Totally...sometimes...like when he is not the source of my distress!

Beverly Keaton Smith said...

that's "until now"...I got so excited that my thoughts got ahead of my fingers!