Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Brooklyn Story Ritual



Ritual is a part of my every day life. Authors Renee Beck and Sydney Barbara Metrick say of ritual that it is "a series of symbolic acts focused toward fulfilling a particular intention." Ritual is at the core of the work I do for Story-Beads and its at the heart of what I do in my life.

Admittedly, some rituals are more elaborate than others. Yesterday's, intended to bless the Story-Beads I was making, went (almost) all out, with a frenzy of collecting to set just the right atmosphere to make my creativity group's holiday gifts. Like most of my personal rituals, it started with great expansion and slowly moved towards a more focused, defined state.


I had just gotten off a coaching call where we were discussing infusion words and focus. Synchronistically, the night before, my dear friend Casey gave me a set of candles with the kanji for wealth, happiness, longevity and luck. The Universe was happily conspiring with me to add a little extra something to the sets that needed to be made!
























To this I added a few runes: Gifu for gift, Lagas for Intuition and Berkana for birthing/transitioning (from a set I bought at Babbo's Books,) and a Fairy's Oracle card from Brian Froud (The Bright Mother - the archetypal mom who provides for her beloved ones. She's loving and caring and if you look closely, the best part is, She doesn't have that saccharine-y smile that so many mother figurines have; She's real.) Then I felt the need for a little music, so the mix I made for everyone was the soundtrack to my work:

  1. Talking River by Adrienne Jones
  2. Born at the Right Time by Paul Simon
  3. The Heart of Life by John Mayer
  4. Three Little Birds by Bob Marley
  5. Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfield
  6. Anything's Possible by Johnny Lang
  7. Right Field by Peter, Paul & Mary
  8. Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats
  9. On Children by Sweet Honey in the Rock
  10. I Got A Name by Jim Croce
  11. Handle With Care by The Traveling Wilburys
  12. Simple Gifts/Amazing Grace by Judy Collins
The way that I look at the world, all these things add to the energy of the work that I am doing. I've always believed that objects soak up the energy around them. When that energy is set with intention and creative forethought, the energy signature is that much stronger.


So this post goes out to all my Dear Ones in Brooklyn: Leonora, Candace, Pam, June, Luz and KB. This is the story of our Story-Beads. They are infused with all these qualities, as well as all the love I feel for you all. I can't believe it either that you haven't always been in my life. I am eternally grateful for your presence in my life, my dear Soul Sisters! Here's to our continued creativity! Yours Always, Deb

How do you bring formalized ritual into your life? Do you long for ritual?

If so, stop by www.Story-Beads.com for some helpful ideas and tools for bring practical do-able rituals into your every day ordinary life.
(Let's hear it for the shameless plug: Hooray!!)

(PS The brownies were infused with all those qualities too! "Infusion Brownies" - Laura over at Cafe Entrepreneur would get such a kick out of that!)

No comments: