Monday, March 3, 2008

"La Padre"

the bride and groom exchange vows, while I hold the space for an emotional pair

So, it seems that the term "non-denominational minister" doesn't translate too well into Spanish. Hell, its a mouthful in English. Equally difficult terms are"officiant" and "the person doing the ceremony." None seemed to explain who I was to the Mexican staff at the Hacienda Las Trancas, when native English speaker Kelley tried to introduce me to the ladies in the kitchen.

So we tried "El Padre" and understanding began to dawn on the faces; I just chuckled because being called "the priest" appealed to the warped and twisted side of me that finds humor in the sacriligeous (Confused? Just watch the movie Dogma and it'll all clear up!) Kelley, however, still wasn't satisfied, so she tried again:

"La Padre." Suddenly, everyone got it. I had worried for an instant (as I often do when my spiritual beliefs come up against the possibility of offending someone's religious beliefs) but when Kelley translated what the head of the kitchen said, my heart was full to brimming; it still brings tears to my eyes:

"She says, 'You have to do a good job on the ceremony. All us women are counting on you to make us all look good.'"

La Padre. I like it. I can deal with that. I like the idea of having to do a good job because "all us women" are counting on me to make us look good. I like that a whole lot!

When have you fudged the symantics to work for you?


"La Padre"

3 comments:

Karen said...

This makes me feel all teary...

Kara said...

Hi Deborah. What a beautiful trip and a lucky couple! That's very amusing about the la padre.

Claire said...

now THAT'S a photo that shows your inner beauty, deb! you look so lovely :o) wat a wonderful day!!