Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tweet? Honk!

Where do people weigh in on Twitter?

Sure, it has the possibility of being a cool marketing tool, and yes, I've written before about liking the idea of catching little slices of people's everyday pies, but.

But.

I won't even go into how abysmally some Republicans are using the site, nor do I need to mention that it really does take away from being present in the current moment (like, oh, I don't know - the President's speech last week! John Stewart at the Daily Show said it best: "There's a reason they don't allow cell phones in 7th grade math!")

Author Christina Baldwin, in her CD series Lifelines, talks about the danger we face in moving away from story and into a soundbite culture. There's too much room for spin and not nearly enough care taken in listening and understanding the whole, complex story that is the bigger reality. It's something to keep in mind as we read other people's "tweets."

What's the story, morning glory?

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I do enjoy Twitter very much, Deb. See my post here:
http://happyluau.blogspot.com/2009/02/twittering-its-all-about-being.html

I do not feel as though it takes me out of the moment. I wouldn't Twitter, though, if I were concentrating, only if I were doing something that I wanted to be connected with others while I did it. It's sort of like having your friends around you in a coffee shop with everyone working.

I have had to read a few books and observe for quite a while to "get" Twitter for personal and business use. I think that it will not be the type of thing that appeals to everyone...but for me, it SO appeals. You have to design it as well so that it is enjoyable, like a conversation.

That's my 2 cents worth!

xo,

O