Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Haiku from a Walk

This unfamiliar
Hummimg in my chest - it's joy.
It's just exhausting.

"It requires a direct dispensation from Heaven to become a walker."
-Henry David Thoreau

Swan, originally uploaded by Brumjam.


"You don't always get answers to your questions right away. It was years ago that I asked of the Universe how these women that I admire, like Jennifer Louden and Christina Baldwin to name a few, came to call the other brilliant women business owners and writers their friends. I would read their books with such envy as they would merrily name friend after brilliant friend. I wondered - how can I get in on some of that?

Today I got to live the answer to that question. I had a wonderful phone session with Jen Hofman and we discussed the possibility of collaborating on a future event. I've wondered for many years what it would be like to have a mentor and if it could be something like today's call I would get over my authority issues in a heartbeat!

Jen and I met through Jennifer Louden's Comfort Cafe and I signed up for Jen's Office Spa Day the following week. The before and after shots of my now-tidy office are pretty inpressive, but the internal work that came from working with Jen was the real treasure. It has helped clarify a lot of the work I'm doing on my releasing ritual.

But just as cool was that after I got off this wonderful phone call I did something I don't often remember to do: I went for a walk. A grounding walk. A walk to take all that "WOW" and "YAY" in my chest and spread it around in a way that was not manic and did not leave me exhausted.

What's the point of feeling joyful if it completely drains you?

The walk was wonderful. I saw a swan (one of my totem animals) and a blue heron which I didn't even know we had here. I rested against a tree and came home feeling like I could sustain the positive feeling and appreciate the answer to the question I had asked so many years ago.


What unanswered questions remain in your life? In what unexpected place might you find answers to help you live those questions?

No comments: