Thursday, July 16, 2009

Urban Coffee in Greenlawn, NY


This place is very much becoming my home away from home; I love it there! It's local, family run and guarantees that I will see a friendly face (other than my family members) everyday when I go get a cup of coffee. Sure, I could make one at home but I have discovered that I am a better person if I get out of the house and see other people, even if it's the two minutes in the coffee shop. At two bucks a day I can afford to pay for sanity.

Last night we had our first journaling group meeting. A cozy three of us sat at the back tables by candle light and talked about affirmations and how to use them effectively in life and in your writing practice. It was such a blessing to be with others that enjoy this kind of thing and long to bring more of it into there lives. And heart donations were even made to the Save-Your-Journal-Instructor's-Small-Business Fund, so I made a little money for which I am extremely grateful.

When I got home last night I did a little gratitude ritual with my offering bowl and my new set of Story-Beads (pictures pending.) I was trying to think of a metaphor for the evening, small and simple as our first meeting was (it remains open to anyone who wants to stop by - every other Wednesday evening!) I kept thinking of it as a seed - something to grow into something more.

Then I realized GACK! No good. I kill anything green that comes within a one mile radius of my black thumb. Not at all what I'm looking for.

A baby. Small, needs nurturing but... I can't stand babies. I love kids (mine especially) but babies and I just don't connect, and they don't bring out warm fuzzy feelings.

So, I'm searching for a metaphor (or analogy) for my brand new group, my brand new business experience and the warm and fuzzy feelings that are my home away from home at Urban Coffee.

(time to go get a cup now - lots of sugar and half and half, thank you very much!)

What metaphors or analogies do you use to describe your life?

1 comment:

Naomi Schoenfeld said...

How about a metaphor for a discovery, rather than a project... uncovering a small natural spring where you can get to see where the water chooses to make its path, what plants start to grow near it, that sort of thing. :D