Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Knowing What You Want



When we bought this house a little over a year ago I knew one thing: I wanted SPACE! Lots of it. I wanted airy and roomy and somewhere to put all my precious stuff. (Its time you knew - I am a lousy buddhist; I love all my stuff!)

When I set up my office I had that thought in mind - airy and spacious and so I left room on my shelves and kept some stuff packed away...and spent no time in the room.

It wasn't until a week ago while watching a documentary on the Muppets that I realized the problem. Looking at their workshop, stacked to the ceiling with things to create with, piled high with "potential" I literally got goosebumps. That was what I wanted.

Thinking back on other offices that I've loved, I really like ordered chaos. There is great comfort in feeling all that potential pressing down on me. I've got the dining room table to work at if I want space. I've got the kitchen table to write at when I want light and airy. For my office I want my stuff and I want it all around me. Now I feel comfortable working in there.

What kind of a space do you need to do your best work?

4 comments:

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

A place with a nice view. :)

Thanks for dropping by at my blog.

Anonymous said...

Light and airy!

I don't work well with "stuff" around me, which is interesting because my husband and I currently share an office in our loft and he loves "stuff" around him.

Just the bare necessities around me... which then begs the question, "What is REALLY necessary?"

Carla said...

Hurray for enlightenment via The Muppets! I'll give you a call tomorrow -- believe it or not, I really do know how to dial. :) Love to see your workspace!

storyteller said...

I'm a "recovering clutterbug" myself who has, like you, always loved my "stuph" ... but am ready, at long last, to pare my belongings and simplify my life. "It's a long and winding road" however and methinks it might take me the rest of my life to do so.