Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What's in a Name? Part I


Many culture's believe that to know someone's true name is to have power over them.

It would seem my husband agrees with this, and so doesn't want true names used on the blog. Still, I feel the need refer to my kids by some name and so here are two anecdotes to "name" them:

When my son was born we had to change from our planned hospital to a different one which had a predominantly Hispanic clientèle. The professional photos were taken of him when he was a few hours old and the paperwork offered the option of printing his name on the photos. We took them up on the offer.

When we got the pictures back there was a slight printing error; his middle name was printed as "Lima" - as in Peru...or as in the bean. We sent them back to get corrected with the proper Scottish name but the damage had been done.

He was my "Lima Bean" from that day on.

What are the origins of your nicknames?

No comments: