Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Art of Brian Froud


FearieCon: imagine a renaissance fair with an other-worldly theme. Hosting the whole shebang is Brian Froud, along with his wife Wendy. You may not know the names but chances are you know their work: they are the concept designers behind the wonderful Jim Henson productions The Dark Crystal and Labrynth (with David Bowie and the glass ball, remember?)

The art of Brian Froud fills me. Some people like Picasso; some go for classic painters. I tried, but those others just don't speak to my heart. They don't make it sing. Brian's work does. Looking through the concept drawings from The Dark Crystal grounds me and leaves me feeling calm.

Not too long ago I stopped judging the things that appealed to me and decided just to enjoy them. I have to say though, that I never really stopped pondering why one artist but not another, or why one music genre but not another. It fascinates me to see the different ways people are wired and the different things that bring them contentment.


To the left is Brian Froud, on stage at FaerieCon, telling the fated story of his wife's first meeting with David Bowie. (Needless to say it didn't go well!) Above on the right is one of the artists/owners of Green Girl Studios where they make some fantastic pewter beads. Here he's dressed as "Jen," the gelfling from The Dark Crystal. He's another kindred spirit who finds joy in the work of Brian Froud.

What art speaks to your heart?

No comments: