Wednesday, October 3, 2007

You asked for it...

My Sacred Life, Days 24 - 28

It is the first full day of a business retreat with The Hubby's company. I have now been driving around, lost in Italy, for well over an hour with a lovely young woman that I had just met that morning, who is equally upset about our situation. The powers that be have neglected to give us instructions on how to put the classic car (a cute little Fiat Spider, convertible) into reverse but have warned us that we need to down shift instead of relying on the brakes as they may overheat; we are now so lost that the directions they have given us are completely useless.

It is about that time that I realized that this situation is, karmatically speaking, all my fault. You see, I have always dreamed of owning a convertible but never driven one. About two weeks ago I mentioned to the Universe that I'd like to drive a convertible, thinking more along the lines of a test drive in the states. It was the classic era of not being specific about what you ask for (a classic D&D trap, for all you gamers out there!) The Universe, as ever more than happy to give me what I asked for, plopped me into a convertible in the middle of Italy.

I suppose I shouldn't have asked for courage the week before either because I certainly got an opportunity to practice that too!!

What situations have been answered prayers that came in "unexpected" (read: "unpleasant") ways?

5 comments:

Angela said...

Um, I totally volunteer to trade places with you! Hope you got found. Great car.

Olivia said...

Sounds wonderful, Deb. Have a terrific time!

Julie said...

I bet the frustration of getting lost turns into a really good memory of Italy later! That's how it works, I think.

Deborah said...

For right now it makes a really good story but as for memory, I don't know. The whole trip was obligatory and defined by a lack of sleep (and not for any of the usual good reasons) and worry about the kids back home. Still, I like a good story...

storyteller said...

It's a "cautionary tale" reminding us all to be careful what we ask for. My Dad used to tell me this all the time when I was little and it's taken me years to understand what he meant.