Monday, December 17, 2007

Chili Con Spirit

My house smells of chili. The wonderful complex odors of cumin and chili powder and tomatoes all mulling together. By 6 o'clock tonight as we sit down to eat, all of us together as a family before trimming the tree, the smell will have infused every room of the house. There will be no escaping it and all I'll be able to think about all day is how good that chili will taste. It will be a good day, even as I curse at the Christmas lights.

The snapshots of our lives are made up of all the different levels of life that infuse every instant. It isn't only the sights and the happenings; it's the sounds and smells and tastes that all add up to the experience. Learning to be aware of all those different levels, even if only for an instant or two, adds the richness of spirituality to our everyday experiences. I am not just making chili - I am aware that I am making chili and that makes all the difference in the world.

What are the smells and tastes of your mindful life?

1 comment:

Annie Z said...

Your last two posts make me long for a house that is full of the life and spirit that yours is! I pray for that day to come.
Much love and Christmas joy,
Annie
xxx