Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Mix and Match Traditions


Coming from a "mixed marriage" - one that's a blend of seemingly very different traditions, there comes not only a division of holiday labor but also the compromise.

After years of trying to get my husband to enjoy (not just take part, in but really enjoy) certain of my holiday traditions, I have acceded him the decorating of the Christmas tree. He bows out, choosing instead to be the official Christmas Story watcher and bearer of spiked eggnog on Christmas Eve.

Which leaves me the tree.

Yes, the kids whole-heartedly help with the decorating but there's everything that needs to be done before the decorating that falls to me. We have an artificial tree that needs assembling and the lights - oh, the lights! That baby looks like an 8 foot tall nonpareil by the time I'm done with it!

I tried for years to go at this from the mindfulness approach. You know it; infusing the spirit of the season into the process. Well, you want to talk about making a taxing situation even worse. Finally, on a particularly bad year (the holiday spirit was hiding behind one tragedy after another in 2001) I turned on the TV and a new tradition was born.

That first year it was Spy Game. Not exactly a holiday flick but I enjoyed the day. Last year it was Ocean's Eleven. Before you start thinking its a Brad Pitt thing, this year's movie was The Breakfast Club - one of my absolute favorite movies in the whole wide world (and 'fessin' up to that is going to yield me a whole lotta ribbing from The Hubby!)

This works for me, and it works for my family. I get to move with ease through a less than enjoyable task (those fake needles do awful things to my already dry hands!) My husband gets to opt out of a tradition that doesn't appeal to him (except for the one obligatory ornament we make him hang just so we can say he helped.) My kids get to come home from a school to a tree that looks as though it was put up and lit up...magically.

And I suppose it is a kind of magic, giving in to new traditions that are seemingly in conflict with the season's theme. But at the heart of the season is that elusive idea of JOY and by watching a good flick (and the occasional episode of Mythbusters) I do find joy in this particular holiday task.

What unusual traditions bring you joy at this time of year? What "unorthodox" aspect could you add to your current tasks to make them more enjoyable?
(Personally, I like my tradition of buying myself a gift or two while shopping for others. That sure adds incentive!)

3 comments:

Annie Z said...

Sounds like a great compromise!
Annie
xxx

sharryb said...

I love The Breakfast Club. Good choice. I like Ocean's Eleven too. We decorate a large Christmas cactus: one short sting of lights and two ornaments. Usually we don't do ornaments, but my grandchildren are coming this year! Today I bought myself some really warm, waterproof shoes while I was out gift buying. Have a great holiday.

Blessings,
Sharry

Kara said...

I listen to the Muppets Christmas album with John Denver when I put up the tree. That isn't unorthodox - but there is something about Miss Piggy singing that helps get the job done. I like the movie idea and yeah - I'd enjoy The Breakfast Club too. Have a great holiday!