Friday, November 5, 2010

"A Crack In Everything..."

I recently stumbled upon a most excellent album: Leonard Cohen Live in London. I am always grateful when I find music that sustains me, that supports me in life and in my work. Here's one of the songs sustaining me:

The birds they sang
At break of day
Start again
I hear them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
Or what has yet to be.

Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything -
That's how the light gets in.

-- Leonard Cohen, Anthem

I need reminding that it doesn't matter if I didn't write or post yesterday (or even for several months) but rather that I am posting today. I need reminding that "it" doesn't have to be perfect, that I don't have to be perfect to be out in the world providing something worthwhile.

What music keeps you sustained?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yeaper!

Unknown said...

I am still trying to figure out what music sustains me,,Honestly it depends on what is ahead of me. After reading this post I think a new approach is in order~ It is mostly spanish music to keep me going..to get me through.the lows.. The classics when my son plays it on the violin is like magical oxygen for me. It can keep me still to the point where I can just hold my breath as long as I hear the strings on the violin.
Music is so powerful especially if you love to dance and feel it go through your soul!