Sunday, November 4, 2007

Self-Portrait?



Welcome to another Sacred Life Sunday! This week, for the first time ever, I posted to the blog every day and so today:

I'm my own sacred life! (sung to the tune of "I'm My Own Grandpa...")

I don't know what I look like. I can't be the only one, either, but I really have no mental image of what I look like and what my face and body present as. Watching fashion advice shows doesn't help much when you can't tell which participants have figures like yours.

So, I've been trying to get an idea of just what this container that holds my soul looks like by snapping self- portraits. My newest project has been to a mixed review. Mostly, I don't like what I see in the pictures - a young woman carrying too much weight and dressed pretty schlumpy. That isn't how I feel most days though, so the pictures come as a bit of a shock.

I'm still trying, looking to capture on film the beauty I know is inside there, hoping to catch just a bit of the Spirit that I feel flowing through my life and through my days.



Why is it that what I see in the mirror doesn't actually mirror what I feel inside?

4 comments:

Annie Z said...

I understand exactly what you mean. I went through a period of taking self-portraits to see what I looked like. A couple of months ago, I think. And mostly experienced the same thing. How I thought I looked on camera wasn't how I felt at the time. It was an interesting experience and one I am sure I will repeat again at some stage. It certainly did help me to connect with myself more and perhaps see things I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

I hope you can make the most of this time and really appreciate the beauty that DOES radiate out of you.

Much love,
Annie
xxx

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i know exactly what you are saying...i never look like what i feel i am...good post...makes me think...blessings, rebecca

storyteller said...

Your post resonates with me also. Sometimes I think of the "reflections" I received as a child were so distorted (like in "fun house" mirrors) that the memories of "who others needed me to be" blurs real images of me today. Then, of course, we're bombarded with media images of what we're "supposed" to look like ... and somehow we never do. It's challenging to look in the mirror and accept what I see as me.

I applaud your efforts to explore your reflection in this way ... and to share with the rest of us. The light in you shines brightly here (as I suspect it does everywhere you go).
Hugs and blessings
Namaste

sharryb said...

The next time I go to buy glasses I'm going to take a camera! I just bought new ones that are very boring. Of course, when you can't see without glasses, it's hard to tell how they will look. I'm saving up to buy a set of Story Beads. Actually, it's not so much the money as knowing what I want.