Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Sunday

A friend of mine in Switzerland asked where I've been and why I haven't been posting on my blog. What a truly excellent question! And the answer?



I've been at the beach!



Two years ago we moved out to Long Island to (in part) have a closer relationship with Nature than we were really able to have in Queens. It was less a locality issue as a need to make it EASIER for me to do those things that, in Queens, felt insurmountable, like taking two kids to the beach. Sure, I could have done it from our old house but what a pain in the butt.



One of my intentions when I went on my vision quest two months ago was to find ways to strengthen my connection to nature. There hasn't been a big a-ha moment, the sky hasn't opened up with angelic voices. Its just been a small change - I take the kids to the beach and sometimes...sometimes, I go by myself. I swim, I float, I feel the rocks and sand (and the occasional crab) between my feet. It is indescribably wonderful.



Today we went to the ocean to get pounded by waves stirred up by a storm off the coast that we hadn't known about. I ache terribly - the 6 year old couldn't keep his feet and I worked really hard to keep him upright. A hardcore work out but I'm not complaining; I'm just happy being back in the water again.

Where are you finding your joy these days?



No comments: