Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Gathering the Lost Bits



So, this detour has been going on since Halloween morning. We've moved from crisis phase and transitioned into a new, if temporary, reality and though I know things will again change, I'm feeling the tug for a sense of personal normalcy.

That means that over the last few days I have been gathering up the lost bits of myself.

There are four journals which need to be brought back from the four corners of the Earth. A reintroduction is in order for each of them, so that I can say "Ahhh, yes, that's where we were..."

Then there are the half finished craft projects under the coffee table waiting patiently.

And my Story-Beads! My business set (the beautiful blue ones in the photo) surfaced in a bag I hadn't seen in eight weeks.

Last night I crawled under my bed to grab my yearly set which had fallen out from under my pillow a week and a half ago. The symbolism doesn't escape me: literally reclaiming my year, my time, my life from the dark places where they had been mispaced.

I've gathered the lost bits of myself and ever so gently I'll begin putting the pieces back in place. All these precious objects - the journals, the Story-Beads, the projects - they are my focusing tools that help me to keep remembering who I am and what I hope to bring into the world.

When your routine gets knocked off track, how do you come back to yourself?

3 comments:

Karen said...

By being kind to myself as much as possible--though this can be hard. May 2010 bring all you desire.

Unknown said...

hope for the best and this time believe it

LindaM said...

I also trust that I will come back to myself eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later. I try therefore to not be anxious because then I stand in my own way.